Past Mistakes

Some twenty-plus years ago, when building my spring-pole lathe, I made a terrible mistake! When cutting out the moveable puppet, I did not leave enough length on the tail to allow for a wedge. With no additional stock at the time to make another part, I decided to add a threaded dowel with which to secure the puppet in place.

IMG_3909

Well, after years of turning this and that, not to mention the extreme changes in climate in my unplugged woodshop, it finally failed.

IMG_3910

Luckily, while digging through my scrap bin looking for the stock to build book stands, I came upon a piece of 8/4 cherry. With just a few saw cuts and the chopping of a through mortise, I had a new movable puppet.

IMG_3916

I do believe this version will outlive me! With a brand-new spring and puppet, perhaps I should consider a new tool rest.

IMG_3914

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.