I had full intentions of taking on another box for my next project. But while digging through my cut-off bin, a couple of pieces of 3/4″ thick beech caught my eye. These boards were leftovers from a project quite some time back. I had completely forgotten that I had them. After a quick measure, I realized that they were too small for a box, so I quickly shifted gears and decided to build another ratcheting book stand. Grabbing a rip saw, I cut two 2-1/2″ by 15-1/2″ stiles, a 3-1/2″ x 12″ top rail, and two 3/4″ by 12″ cross pieces.
Every time I make one of these book stands, I try to do something completely different with the top rail. I knew I wanted a series of lunettes across the top. And perhaps for the lunettes to flow onto the top of the stiles. A layout like this first requires a bit of assembly. I took the time to form tenons at either end of the top rail and mortises in the stiles. With the three pieces together, the layout was much clearer.
Losing myself in the carving, I found that I ended up with flower heads in the center of the lunettes, leading to adding running vines with stylized leaves to the stiles. Yep, something completely different!
With that little bit of carving out of the way, I attached my newly made file box to start “turning” the cross pieces, more on that next post.