I may have gotten a bit carried away with making drawbore pegs. I only needed twenty more, but somehow ended up with about sixty! I guess I was just having too much fun. But then again, it’s a good thing I didn’t stop at twenty and start drawboring, I had forgotten the groove in the front bottom rail for the floorboards.
Not owning a plow-plane, I used a 3/8″ mortise chisel to run the groove. Besides, what is a groove, if but a really long, shallow mortise? I used my shop made Old Woman’s Tooth to assure an even depth.
With the groove cut, I also thought it would be in my best interest to go ahead and fit the floorboards before final assembly. The end floorboards look a lot like the till lid, as they are notched around the stiles.
The floorboards have a tongue at the front to fit into the groove in the bottom rail, and butt to the underside of the back bottom rail and be nailed into place. The sides of the boards are joined via tongue and groove joints.
The floorboards are pine, except for the two narrower boards, which are white ash. There is no particular reason for this, other than I ran out of pine.
Now, I think I can peg this chest together!